Friday 29 May 2020

Circle, Triangle, Square, Star, Splat


Like the previous post, this is written for a blog link-up party hosted by ‘I live, I love, I craft, I am me’. The theme this time is photographs of geometric shapes. Do have a look at the other entries.

Circle
Here's an almost perfect circle (spotted by Frog), formed by a bridge on the Grand Western Canal near where we live.

Along the Grand Western Canal a week or so ago. (Spot the dog.)
And here is a picture from the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal in Somerset which we were able to visit yesterday after a three-month absence. It was very busy, lots of people obviously having the same idea as us. The sun and planets are ranged along its length at correctly-scaled intervals and in their relative sizes, which is an inspired idea, and has almost (but not quite) got me remembering the order of the planets. The sun is an enormous orange ball about ten feet high (but we didn’t go that way this time so I don’t have a picture).

Saturn, on the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal

Triangle
Here at last is our shade-sail, temporarily installed. As explained in a previous post, sunshades, gazebos etc don’t stand a chance in our garden as it gets so much wind, and the shade-sail is our latest ruse. Thanks to Primrose.co.uk for getting it to us, in spite of the difficulties the lockdown has caused them. We did have to wait seven weeks, but we trusted them.

Spot the dog, slinking off. Because of the noise the shade-sail makes, she thinks it might be a new form of hot-air balloon, one of the few things she's really frightened of. Hopefully, she'll get used to it.

Square
It took a lot of digging to create the 2 ½ foot deep post-holes for the shade-sail, most of which was done by Frog. My job was to trundle away the earth in a wheelbarrow and tip it into my new raised vegetable bed, also made by Frog.





Star
The bees are loving this geranium in flower in our garden at the moment. I’m loving the flowers' colour and their delicate markings. I’m not a painter but I’d like to be and a few days ago I tried to paint one of the blooms. I found it impossible to re-create their loveliness.



And I can’t resist showing you this picture of elderflower blossom yesterday, shining like a constellation of stars from a dark hedgerow. Its scent was intoxicatingly lemony and for the first time I understood why people use it for making drinks.



Splat
I don’t know if this counts as a splat, but here is a mind-map I’m creating for a possible new novel. I haven’t as yet made connections between the items as all I’m doing at this stage is writing up things like dreams, memories and stray thoughts as they occur to me, as well as more conscious ideas (which are probably the least helpful). In true lockdown fashion, I'm using the back of large pieces of patterned paper I found lining the drawers of a chest I've inherited from my mother.



I’ve used mind-maps in a more structured way (with connections and sub-connections and pathways) for novel chapters and blog posts for a while but this random mind-map is a new idea.

I’ve also been formulating a list of dos and don’ts connected to creativity – more of this in due course perhaps.


Own choice
And here is my lockdown indoor project, the tunic of many colours (and many geometric shapes) made from leftover pieces of material, intended for those rainy days which we haven’t had. Consequently I haven’t got very far with it.


This is the top of the tunic. There's a handkerchief skirt to come, made up of a pink piece of material, a green piece, and three purple pieces. 

And that's more than enough about me. I intend in future to write in a much more general and informative way . . .

PS As I said in the previous post, if you've arrived here through the blog link-up party you may not be able to access the links. Tune instead to www.belinda-whitworth.blogspot.com

19 comments:

  1. Inspired pictures. Love the shade sail and the use of the earth from the holes for your vegetable beds. I too love the elderberry flowers and scent, very lemony as you say. Hope you get your tunic finished but that is saying I am hoping for rainy days but we may soon need them after this heat. Going for a walk and learning about the planets is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The things I learn from other people's photo hunt pictures, here your shade sail. It does look good. Your splat was imaginative too! My favourite is Circle. I love to see the reflections of bridges in water. I am a fan of hardy geraniums and have one like yours. Yes the bees to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you. I learnt about shade-sails from a blog too! It was a lot of work to put up - best if you can attach it to house and trees. I hope to read more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely choices & my favourite would have to be the bridge reflection for circle. Shade sails are quite popular here too in Oz. Your geraniums are a very pretty colour. Take care & stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think shade-sails do come from Oz originally (like lots of good ideas). All best wishes to you too for the rest of your lockdown. It must be hard having it happening in the autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waving a hello from the scavenger hunt link up .... nice to meet you.
    Love the bridge, that does look a serene place to take a wander.
    A great idea the sail is, I hope it stays in place and you can enjoy some garden time when the suns out.
    Pretty geraniums.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Canals are serene and full of wildlife. Himself (Frog) likes them because it's difficult to get lost! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos and stories, I have always had a hankering for sail shade but our garden is not suitable. May be one day! thank you for joining in xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My pleasure. Thank you for organising the party. You've given my blog a new incentive. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many beautiful photos! The flowers are gorgeous, I love the one with the bee.
    Your tunic is going to be lovely, great fabric so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Astrid. Thank you so much for your kind comments and for joining the gang of followers. Good to have you on board.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi B I love your observations and choice of shapes - fabulous photos and your tunic is a work of art in the making.This lovely idea has made me look for shapes too ...especially splats! Thank you and please keep writing about you - anyone can do general - you are the best expert on you I want to hear about! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear from you, Trish. Thank you for still reading my blog. I threw out that comment about not writing so much about myself to see what would happen - and you've said exactly the right thing! xx

      Delete
  13. Oh hello! I am indeed stopping by from 'I live I love' to have a look at your shape interpretations! I love all the interesting photos people have found for their shape pic - amazing how we individually interpret a prompt, isn't it?
    We have wild elder growing here in Tasmania too and we've made elder flower 'champagne' in the past...it really is delicious and our children had a lovely time pretending it was alcohol! Actually it may well have been!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Evi - yes, it's fascinating how different our choices are. How interesting that you have elder growing the other side of the world! I'm loving your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lovely to see pictures from Devon - such a gorgeous part of the world - I too am joining from Kate's scavenger hunt - the shade sail is a great idea, I hadn't heard of them before - we have a lot of wind here too. And I love the planets - never can remember their order either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Fil. Good to hear from you. I hope you will be able to go back on tour soon.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!