Thursday, 17 September 2026

PART 8. 1 . . . Other Animals

This is an instalment of an autobiographical series. For more information and a list of instalments so far, see right.



2001


Frog removed a paving slab in our garden and dug a hole for Brindle’s body, sweat pouring off him. It was penance for all the times he’d shouted at her. We placed her body in the hole and covered it with earth.
    Brindle had joined us two years 'before Sam' and I felt as if I’d undergone several lifetimes since then. She’d kept me company for thirteen and a half years, an unwavering source of pragmatism, common-sense and love. Now she was gone.
    The next day my sister Cass came to stay with her children aged 10, 7 and 4. The children were devastated to discover that Brindle was no longer with us and decorated her grave with flowers, petals and pine cones from the garden. Then we sat round the grave and sang and said some prayers.



The decorations on Brindle's grave


Frog had sweated over Kitten’s grave too when she’d died twelve years earlier, only that time he was exorcising sorrow not guilt. Kitten had been with him through most of his twenties and thirties, including the worst time of his life when Wendy, his girlfriend of five years, suddenly upped and left (before I met him). We’d laid some sprigs of catmint in the hole with Kitten, as she had loved the plant so much, rolling in it with a silly smile on her face.
    Strangely, it wasn’t long after her death that Frog had taken up with Sam. Was there a connection, I wondered.

While Kitten was alive we’d given a home to another cat, a tabby whom we named Catherine after one of Frog’s nieces. As a change from all our other animals, we found Catherine the conventional way through an advertisement in the local paper about a litter of kittens. She developed into a healthy individual with thick fur and a tail like a fox's brush, unlike poor Kitten who was starting to look ragged. She’d had a hard life.
    Kitten and Catherine had got on well, having play fights in the evening and curling up together in the cat-bed, with Kitten often putting a protective paw over her young friend.
 


Kitten and Catherine sharing the cat-bed


Sadly, six years after Kitten’s death, Catherine was run over and we were cat-less.
    The next year, shortly after we lost our baby Thomas, a bedraggled and starving kitten appeared in the garden hedge. We adopted her and named her Felicity as she’d turned up unexpectedly when we needed her, like happiness does.
    She developed into a ball of fluff, but never forgot her feral origins. Frog and I were the only humans she would tolerate.


Felicity, a ball of fluff, taking charge of the sofa


How strange animals were. We thought we were looking after them, but perhaps it was the other way round.
    
And then there was Penny.

After Brindle's death there was a big dog-shaped hole in our lives that didn't go away, so six months later we went to a small rescue centre that had advertised at the vet’s.
    The moment we arrived, I started to cry. So many dogs, so much barking, concrete runs, a stink of excrement. I had to sit on a wall and recover.
    We wandered round, looking for a Staffy – a Staffordshire bull terrier - as I’d met several on my rambles and loved them. But one dog caught both our eyes.
    She had her paws on the wall round her yard and stared at us with huge liquid-brown eyes, barking urgently. She was a lurcher, pretty and slender, the complete opposite of dear Brindle.
    ‘I think she’s chosen us,’ said Frog.
    ‘Definitely,’ I agreed.
    We took her for a walk and she seemed already to be trained and respond to commands. She was about three years old, said the Rescue Centre, but they couldn’t tell us anything about her past.
    We went home and I couldn’t stop thinking about her. My heart went out to her. She needed us. I couldn’t wait to take her away from that prison.
    The Rescue Centre wanted to inspect our premises (and us, I suspect) so I scoured the house and put out Brindle’s bed with a clean cover.
    We passed the test and next day went to fetch our new companion animal.

The rescue centre had called her Shandy, but when Frog was in his teens his family had a Shetland Sheepdog with the same name. He’d loved that Shandy and didn’t want to feel he was replacing her, so we called our new dog Penny instead.
    Phew. She turned out to be an escape artist, chewing her way out of the cat flap the first time we left her alone. Luckily a neighbour saw her charging down the road and rescued her. Another time she got out (I can’t remember how) and walked all over Frog’s car leaving scratch marks. He was furious.
    ‘The little sod,’ he said.
    But he loved her really. And in my pictures of that time the two of them are always together and a paw or a hand is always resting on the other.


Frog and Penny resting together after a steep climb up a cliff




Penny with her paw on Frog's arm


It took about a year for Penny to settle down but for once I didn’t mind anything. She didn’t drain me like our other animals had. She was vulnerable, not demanding, and I couldn’t do enough for her.
    She loved to run, looking like a cheetah with her strong back legs doubled underneath her, and once she learnt how to would shudder to a halt a millimetre from my knees. I suspected she'd never been able to run before she came to us and not seen grass either, as to start with would always seek out concrete for her ablutions.
    At home she spent her day hiding in the gap between the wall and Frog’s side of the bed, only coming out on Frog's return, when she would greet him from the top of the stairs with a shy smile. I didn't know dogs could smile, but Penny certainly did.



Penny emerging from the bedroom in order to greet Frog


So now we lived with one dog, Penny, and one cat, Felicity.
    You might note that they were both female. That was because Frog preferred females to males in all species. He had more than enough trouble tolerating his own maleness and didn't want another male living in the house, not even a non-human one. 

But what about us? What about Frog and me? How were we getting on?



To be continued . . .




6 comments:

  1. They do choose their person.
    We have brought kittens home for the boys and despite the boys choosing the one they wanted, the cats knew who they wanted and it was not who it was suppose to be. Dogs too - a family dog ends up being one persons dog. Our present cat - was for our eldest son to replace the one that sadly was run over. The cat preferred the other son and when they all left home, she transferred her affections to my other half, she is definitely not mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We’ve never had dogs but have had cats. They do really steal
    Your heart. When we had to say good bye to our lay one I couldn’t face having another but it’s as though other cats know there is a vacancy and it was t long before William made us his second home. We gave him lots of love and let him in but we never fed him and it got to the point where he would pretty much live with us and just go home at mealtimes. When it was time for him to depart we were as sad as if we’d lost one of our own. We were then visited by a cat we called Captain. He wasn’t friendly and appeared to be a stray. He stayed for a good while until a lady knocked the door and asked if we’d seen this cat (showing us a picture). She had been looking out for him too and was concerned she hadn’t seen him for a while. Since then we’ve had a couple of black cats hanging around but not so much these days. I think the fix that frequents the garden more often than I’d like has scared them all away ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the stories of all your cats. Thank you. 😊❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey I’ve just reread my comment. I’m surprised you could make any sense of it with all the typos 🙈🙈🙈

      Delete

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!