Monday, 21 September 2026

8.2 What about us?

This is an instalment of an autobiographical series. For more information, see right.




Dear Belinda and John

 I felt that I had to write after seeing you both today.
    I want you to know that you are both truly an inspiration. There is no better reward for what I do that to see it manifest in people as it has so obviously in both of you.
    I want to acknowledge both of you for all of the hard work which you have done. To see you both so together, your love radiates and is infectious. It makes everything seem so exciting and leaves me with a renewed sense of purpose.
    So thank you, both of you, and keep up the good work. Keep growing and loving.
    With love, light and happiness

    Cheryl
    xx❤️


We had seen Cheryl on a good day, but I was touched, overwhelmed and puzzled by her card. I was sure we weren’t half of what she’d written, and most of what she said would be better applied to her than us.

Poor Cheryl however was becoming overwhelmed. Everyone wanted her to sort their life out. She was working all hours and earning more money than she had time to deal with. Her own personal life was faltering.

Cheryl and I, together with friends, had organised a Day of Healing in the village where Frog and I lived. Therapists and healers offered taster sessions of their talents, including Cheryl her aura portraits and me tarot-reading, even though I felt hugely unqualified to advise people on their lives. I didn’t have Cheryl’s confidence and unless I caught my insights immediately and hung on to them they vanished like early morning mist in a din of mind-chatter – usually critical of me and what I was doing.
    Nevertheless the day was a success with queues at lunchtime stretching out of the Village Hall and round the carpark.

That was one of the last times I saw Cheryl. One day she simply vanished and word came later through a friend of a friend of a friend that she’d moved to another part of the country, halted all her psychic work and taken an ordinary job with the Post Office.
    What a waste. What a loss.

Frog and I, now in our late forties and with our Silver Wedding approaching, muddled on. Our sex life was nothing like I’d once hoped and dreamed of (for which I blamed myself), but the fearsome fights were more or less a thing of the past and we enjoyed being with each other, or at least I enjoyed being with Frog. I don’t know what he felt but he did write me loving messages and send me loving cards, and he was still there. 

My favourite times were the mornings we spent in bed together, our ‘breakfast meetings’ as we called them jokingly.
    Frog didn’t properly get going till lunchtime whereas I was a lark (another of the many many ways in which we were complete opposites) so I would leap out of bed early, let Penny into the garden, flap around in my dressing-gown doing whatever I needed to do, then rejoin Frog in bed.
    I would lie dozing with my hand on his thigh while he propped himself up on lots of pillows, read his Chambers Dictionary and tried to wake up.
    Felicity would lie purring on Frog’s chest. Penny would be hiding downstairs.
    
Why can’t it always be like this? I would think. Everything feels right when Frog and I are together. Why do I have to have all those doubts? Why did I make such a complete hash of our early days together, our wedding and our encounters with my parents? Will I ever get things straight?
    Every day I went through my parents’ letters and the lead-up to our wedding in my mind, wondering how I could have done things differently, trying out different scenarios. None of them worked. My migraines continued.

One morning I spoke, the words appearing from nowhere and tumbling out of me.
    ‘What I’d really like’, I said, ‘is a part-time job somewhere locally – Tiverton for instance – in something interesting like a bookshop.’
    ‘Mmm,’ said Frog, head in dictionary. ‘Good idea.’
    In spite of everything, I’d enjoyed working on the New Age Encyclopaedia, and I wanted to do more writing. Maybe even some ‘creative writing’ such as fiction. But freelance editing didn’t make that easy. It put me in an intellectual rather than a dreamy state of mind. It was unpredictable and last minute so I couldn’t plan my life. I couldn’t leave space for creative writing because it would more than likely be filled up.
    A regular job, two or three days a week, might make things easier, and we could afford it. I didn’t have to work full time any more because my parents had sold the farm and moved somewhere smaller, dividing some of the proceeds among us children. So I had some savings, and could perhaps put them to good use. What I considered good use, at least. My father certainly wouldn’t. So I wouldn’t tell him (as per usual).
    But I wasn’t desperate to make the change, so I put the thought out of my head.

The next day a neighbour rang.
    ‘You know I work at the Tiverton Bookshop,’ she began. ‘Well, my boss is looking for some extra help - say two or three days a week. Would you be interested?’

Within a week, I had the job and had booked myself in for a creative writing weekend on the River Tamar near Plymouth in South Devon. How lucky I was, and how extraordinary was the universe. Of course there was an intelligent consciousness behind everything. How could it be otherwise?
     I just hoped Frog could manage Penny while I was out. It was still early days between her and us and he wasn’t the most patient of people, not even with his beloved companion animal.



To be continued . . . 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!