This is an instalment from an autobiographical series. For more information and a list of instalments so far, see right.
The Foot and Mouth epidemic started in February, not the most exciting month for
walks at the best of times, let alone ones where you couldn’t tread on anything
green. Nevertheless we were lucky enough in Devon to have a vast network of
tiny tarmacked lanes, largely free of traffic and fringed with banks, hedges
and trees. These we trudged.
I had to keep Brindle on a lead as she was now deaf as well as disobedient so if she’d strayed into a field I would have had no way of bringing her back. If I’d climbed into the field I faced a large fine, not to mention alienating my farming neighbours. If Brindle had strayed she risked being shot.
Having Brindle on a lead made me feel as if I was on a lead too and, while she was obviously missing all the interesting smells and carcasses, I was missing all the usual details of winter turning to spring. As my mother so eloquently put it later, ‘We never saw the bluebells that year.’ It was like a bereavement.
From time to time, Brindle would sit down in the middle of the road and refuse to get up.
‘Look,’ her eyes would say, ‘I’m an old lady now. This is boring and I’m beyond tired. I want to be back at home, snoozing on my bed.’
‘I know, I know,’ I would say. ‘I’m bored too but we have to get our exercise. In any case it’s as quick now to carry on as it is to turn round.’
She would haul herself to her feet, and we would struggle on be-leaded.
In May Frog and I went on holiday to a Greek island, leaving Brindle
with neighbour Claire and her husband Ben. Unfortunately there was a storm at
the end of our two weeks on the island and the ferry was cancelled. We were
stuck.
The travel company doled out phone cards so that we could phone home and I stood in the rickety open booth on the village’s seafront, buffeted by winds, and dialled the UK, marvelling at technology. Here I was on a minuscule, barely inhabited, island. How extraordinary that a rusty contraption could put me in touch with someone thousands of miles away.
Ben answered and he didn’t sound too pleased when I explained the situation and asked if they could possibly look after Brindle for another few days.
‘I just hope she’ll last that long,’ he grunted.
Luckily, the Greeks are used to the weather disrupting travel and three
days later - by an ingenious route involving another bigger ferry and a cardboard
hotel on a tourist trap island where we listened to disco beats all night - we
arrived home.
The next day Frog and I took Brindle out for a walk.
I was surprised that Frog had volunteered to come too. He didn’t normally. Perhaps it was the holiday, I thought. We'd done a lot of walking on the island.
About five minutes from home, Brindle collapsed. She lay on the ground, panting, her tongue hanging out. Frog lifted her off the road into a gateway and laid her on the grass. I crouched over her, stroking her and talking to her, feeling pretty shaky myself.
After a few minutes, as Brindle showed no sign of improving, Frog spoke.
‘I think we ought to go home and ring the vet. I’ll carry her.’
I thanked god that Frog was with me. What would I have done without him? I couldn’t lift Brindle myself. She was far too heavy. I couldn’t have left her as she was. I would have had to wait for a passing car but that might have taken hours.
Back home Frog laid Brindle on her bed. Because she was panting so much,
we thought she might be hot, so we put a fan on her.
‘It’s a pulmonary embolism – a clot on the lung,’ said the vet when he
arrived. ‘There’s no hope, I’m afraid. She’s slowly suffocating. We have to put
an end to it.’
As if she understood, Brindle struggled to her feet and staggered outside, only to crumple again on the grass.
All three of us – the vet, Frog and me – followed her out and knelt around her.
The vet took out a needle and as he depressed the plunger I saw Brindle’s spirit burst from her body like a puff of smoke and streak northwards over the shed.
It was in a hurry. It couldn’t wait to leave.
Brindle had waited for me to finish my book. Over the last three months
she’d trudged the lanes with me even though she hadn’t wanted to. She’d waited
for Frog and me to return from holiday. She’d made sure both Frog and I were
there when she collapsed.
Perhaps, in the end, she did what she came here to do.
I had to keep Brindle on a lead as she was now deaf as well as disobedient so if she’d strayed into a field I would have had no way of bringing her back. If I’d climbed into the field I faced a large fine, not to mention alienating my farming neighbours. If Brindle had strayed she risked being shot.
Having Brindle on a lead made me feel as if I was on a lead too and, while she was obviously missing all the interesting smells and carcasses, I was missing all the usual details of winter turning to spring. As my mother so eloquently put it later, ‘We never saw the bluebells that year.’ It was like a bereavement.
From time to time, Brindle would sit down in the middle of the road and refuse to get up.
‘Look,’ her eyes would say, ‘I’m an old lady now. This is boring and I’m beyond tired. I want to be back at home, snoozing on my bed.’
‘I know, I know,’ I would say. ‘I’m bored too but we have to get our exercise. In any case it’s as quick now to carry on as it is to turn round.’
She would haul herself to her feet, and we would struggle on be-leaded.
The travel company doled out phone cards so that we could phone home and I stood in the rickety open booth on the village’s seafront, buffeted by winds, and dialled the UK, marvelling at technology. Here I was on a minuscule, barely inhabited, island. How extraordinary that a rusty contraption could put me in touch with someone thousands of miles away.
Ben answered and he didn’t sound too pleased when I explained the situation and asked if they could possibly look after Brindle for another few days.
‘I just hope she’ll last that long,’ he grunted.
I was surprised that Frog had volunteered to come too. He didn’t normally. Perhaps it was the holiday, I thought. We'd done a lot of walking on the island.
About five minutes from home, Brindle collapsed. She lay on the ground, panting, her tongue hanging out. Frog lifted her off the road into a gateway and laid her on the grass. I crouched over her, stroking her and talking to her, feeling pretty shaky myself.
After a few minutes, as Brindle showed no sign of improving, Frog spoke.
‘I think we ought to go home and ring the vet. I’ll carry her.’
I thanked god that Frog was with me. What would I have done without him? I couldn’t lift Brindle myself. She was far too heavy. I couldn’t have left her as she was. I would have had to wait for a passing car but that might have taken hours.
As if she understood, Brindle struggled to her feet and staggered outside, only to crumple again on the grass.
All three of us – the vet, Frog and me – followed her out and knelt around her.
The vet took out a needle and as he depressed the plunger I saw Brindle’s spirit burst from her body like a puff of smoke and streak northwards over the shed.
It was in a hurry. It couldn’t wait to leave.
Perhaps, in the end, she did what she came here to do.
To be continued . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!