This is part of an autobiographical series. For more information and a list of instalments, see right.
Brindle was now thirteen and beginning to show her age. She was grey
around the muzzle and stiff in the back half. She didn’t need quite as much exercise
as before.
I’d hated the puppy stage. It had drained me. I had nothing to give a young creature. I wondered if we’d made a terrible mistake, taking her on. But then, when she was a year and a quarter, she turned a corner. She became grown up and almost began to look after me instead.
She wasn’t allowed on the furniture but she was allowed to have two feet off the ground. In the mornings as Frog and had our breakfast in bed, she would place her front two feet on top of the duvet my side, with her two back feet still on the ground. I would put my hand on her head. In the evenings as Frog and I sat on the sofa together watching television, she would rest her front feet on my knees. It was wonderfully comforting.
She was an independent creature, like Frog, and we’d had trouble training her. Or perhaps we were just hopeless at it. It was more a case of her training us to let her do what she wanted.
She was also horrendously greedy, stealing the cat food at home and diving into next-door’s dustbin whenever she had the chance. She would strew its contents all over the road so that she could have a good look at them and snack on anything tasty. I would then have to go down with a black bin bag wearing rubber gloves and pick it all up.
I’d hated the puppy stage. It had drained me. I had nothing to give a young creature. I wondered if we’d made a terrible mistake, taking her on. But then, when she was a year and a quarter, she turned a corner. She became grown up and almost began to look after me instead.
She wasn’t allowed on the furniture but she was allowed to have two feet off the ground. In the mornings as Frog and had our breakfast in bed, she would place her front two feet on top of the duvet my side, with her two back feet still on the ground. I would put my hand on her head. In the evenings as Frog and I sat on the sofa together watching television, she would rest her front feet on my knees. It was wonderfully comforting.
She was an independent creature, like Frog, and we’d had trouble training her. Or perhaps we were just hopeless at it. It was more a case of her training us to let her do what she wanted.
She was also horrendously greedy, stealing the cat food at home and diving into next-door’s dustbin whenever she had the chance. She would strew its contents all over the road so that she could have a good look at them and snack on anything tasty. I would then have to go down with a black bin bag wearing rubber gloves and pick it all up.
When she and I were out walking together she would suddenly scent a dead creature or remember a spot where she had once many moons ago buried the remains of some animal. Nose to the ground, she would head off at speed and no amount of calling could bring her back. When she did eventually return, of her own volition, she would often be carrying some foul bone in her mouth, or dragging a rotten carcass behind her.
Nevertheless, with her stripey orange-brown coat the exact colour of Devon mud, her liquid yellow eyes and her inclination to plumpness, I loved the half springer spaniel, half labrador accident, and my walks with her were the highlight of my days.
Then, one evening her
legs went. She staggered round the house, unable to climb the stairs, leaving behind her piles of vomit. She looked as if she was drunk. We raced her to the vet and he
pronounced a stroke.
I was by now deep into the encyclopaedia, realising that a year
was not going to be nearly enough to complete it. I’d had a three-month
extension of my deadline but was beginning to think that wasn’t enough either.
The subject was vast and the word ‘encyclopaedia’ was more than demanding. It implied that I was passing on everything that was worth knowing about each subject, something I was far from qualified to do. What’s more, the book couldn’t be personal like a ‘devil’s dictionary’. It had to be authoritative.
My migraines were striking more often, sending me to bed, unable even to think, which delayed the work even further.
‘Please God,’ I prayed. ‘Don’t let Brindle die just yet. I haven’t got space to deal with her death at the moment.’
I picked up my influences from everywhere, which was perhaps
another reason I felt so at home in the New Age. I was brought up in the Church
of England. Yoga philosophy had ingrained itself in me from my twenties. Psychotherapy
over three years and a year of hypnotherapy had added to the mix. Wide
experience of complementary medicine had imbued me with a belief in forces that
we can’t yet explain scientifically and shown me that we are not victims of
fate – we are in charge of our own health and well-being.
So, yes, even before I met Cheryl I believed in prayer, but I did
it my way. I knew that if you put enough passion into your prayers they would
be answered. But I also knew that what you wanted wasn’t necessarily what you
needed and nor was it necessarily the best thing for the world at large.
I had prayed and prayed for Frog to have a job in local radio but when he did I hardly saw him. And then Sam came into his life.
Two years earlier we had been down to one car which was inconvenient as Frog took it to work with him, leaving me trapped at home, and I had prayed for another one. Soon after that, Frog’s father died and, because Frog was the executor of his father's will, he was able to borrow his father's car while he travelled up down from Devon to Bedfordshire to sort everything out.
As a result, I was very careful what I prayed for and I didn’t pray for things very often. The best prayers, I had found, just fell out of me.
And this prayer about Brindle was one of those.
And Brindle rallied, dragging herself up the stairs and wobbling
after me on short walks, and over the course of a week or so returning to more
or less normal.
At last I finished the encylopaedia and sent the manuscript to the
publisher who was delighted with it and sent me my second cheque, the first
having arrived when I signed the contract and the third due when the book was
published in about a year’s time.
All I had to do now was write ‘blurbs’ for the jacket (the write-ups that appear on the front flap and on the back) and check proofs. A piece of piss, as Frog would say.
My migraines receded.
I looked forward to returning to simple editing – working on other people’s books. To seeing friends and family. To having a life again.
And most of all I looked forward to unrestricted walks with Brindle.
Then the Foot and Mouth epidemic struck, affecting farm animals
and causing over six million of them to be slaughtered and burnt all over the
country. The countryside was placed out of bounds.
The subject was vast and the word ‘encyclopaedia’ was more than demanding. It implied that I was passing on everything that was worth knowing about each subject, something I was far from qualified to do. What’s more, the book couldn’t be personal like a ‘devil’s dictionary’. It had to be authoritative.
My migraines were striking more often, sending me to bed, unable even to think, which delayed the work even further.
‘Please God,’ I prayed. ‘Don’t let Brindle die just yet. I haven’t got space to deal with her death at the moment.’
I had prayed and prayed for Frog to have a job in local radio but when he did I hardly saw him. And then Sam came into his life.
Two years earlier we had been down to one car which was inconvenient as Frog took it to work with him, leaving me trapped at home, and I had prayed for another one. Soon after that, Frog’s father died and, because Frog was the executor of his father's will, he was able to borrow his father's car while he travelled up down from Devon to Bedfordshire to sort everything out.
As a result, I was very careful what I prayed for and I didn’t pray for things very often. The best prayers, I had found, just fell out of me.
And this prayer about Brindle was one of those.
All I had to do now was write ‘blurbs’ for the jacket (the write-ups that appear on the front flap and on the back) and check proofs. A piece of piss, as Frog would say.
My migraines receded.
I looked forward to returning to simple editing – working on other people’s books. To seeing friends and family. To having a life again.
And most of all I looked forward to unrestricted walks with Brindle.
To be continued . . .
I remember the foot and mouth epidemic. It was just devastating. All those animals lost 😞
ReplyDeleteAnd that's something else that doesn't get talked about, isn't it. x
ReplyDeleteYou are so right. I very much remember seeing some awful sights when we were down in Cornwall that time 🙈
DeleteYes indeed. It must have been terrible for farmers.
ReplyDeletewe trudged the lanes all around the dales, not daring to set foot on anything green. One such walk we met a farmer and had a chat over his gate. He was angry/dejected/almost broken. He said that when the disease first started and the farmers who chose to have their cattle destroyed on mass (and were compensated for)- the farmers who kept their stock pitied/detested those who did not, until their food supplies ran out, until the fields were grazed to the ground, until lambs/calves were born and could not be sold to the abattoirs - and those farms were now running out of money - he was very angry.
ReplyDeleteSome years later, when I worked at a veterinary surgery in the dales that I discovered that a fair few farmers either became bankrupt or committed suicide - it was a bad time for the farming community.
Thank you for sharing your experiences, Kate. That is very interesting and, as I said to Carol, that time is hardly ever talked about for some reason.
ReplyDeleteIt was a terrible. tragic time. Thanks for making it real...how it affected you and Brindle as well as the horrific experiences for the farmers..the animals..the awful loss.XX
ReplyDelete