Friday 26 June 2020

June's blog party

I’ve been feeling scattered for the last week or two and busy with long To Do lists every day and had decided not to join in the blog-link party this month. Then I started to read and enjoy everyone’s contributions and decided that I wanted to do my piece after all. So here it is.


My garden

We were delighted a few weeks ago to find a wren nesting in a reel of cable in our garden shed. (I say ‘our’ but the shed is mostly taken up with Frog’s stuff which I have to keep pushing back so as to create a gardening ‘corner’.)



A wren's nest (after fledging) in a reel of cable in our garden shed

The parent/s seemed unconcerned by our presence, flying in and out past us to feed the ever-gaping, peeping, yellow mouths. I didn’t photograph these as I didn’t want to scare any of the family, old or young.

When the chicks started to fledge we left a window open as we didn’t think they’d find the crack in the top corner of the roof through which the adults squeezed (when the door was shut). We think they all got away all right.


Flowers

Here – for Trish - is one of the wildflowers listed in the previous post.



Wood sage

It’s called wood sage, and although related to the culinary sage (both of them being part of the nettle family) has no particular scent to the leaves. The gardener and writer Vita Sackville-West considered the plant fit for the garden and I agree - it's beautiful and robust, flowers for several months and doesn't take over. It’s common in the hedgerows round here and I saw this patch sticking out of a bank a few days ago.


Insect

I didn’t want to photograph this fungus, seen on a recent walk,  as it gives me the creeps but when I saw a dung fly on it I thought that it would be just the thing for the ‘insect’ section of this post. It’s called stinkhorn because of its disgusting smell (like raw meat), Latin name (for obvious reasons) Phallus impudicus. Luckily this one has fallen over. You don’t usually see it as it grows deep in woods. Here it’s in dense shade next to our nearby canal.

Stinkhorn and dung fly

Something wild

Between the canal and a small parking area on the same walk we saw these wild birds, going about their business, completely unconcerned by human presence.

A mother duck and her ducklings – I love the way the ducklings pick up their feet as they walk  . . .




. . .  and this moorhen, with swans and cygnets behind.



Are the birds always there or have they got used to having the place to themselves during Lockdown?


Sunset

We don’t see sunset (or sunrise) from our garden in the summer as there are too many leaves. I took this picture of sun-glow however late one evening around the solstice as I listened to the birds’ final songs.

Solstice sun-glow

There was a new song in the chorus and for some reason I had an inkling that it was a nightingale, which I’d never heard before. According to my bird book, the nightingale nests in ‘thick cover of brambles and nettles, in or near broad-leaved woodland or scrub’, which just about describes our overgrown garden as is it at the moment. I’ve now listened to the song on our CD of birdsong so will be prepared if I hear it again in the garden.


My choice

Having said in the previous post that we don’t do ruins in this country, we came across some more on a new cross-country walk last week.





It was a beautiful spot and reminded me of the idealised visions of rural England that you see in Victorian watercolours - such as those by Helen Allingham.


Hill Farm, Symondsbury, Dorset, by Helen Allingham (1848-1926)

22 comments:

  1. Love your selection, but the duck & her ducklings won my heart. How precious. Your fungi is.....interesting!!!
    We can't see sunrises from this house, but quite often spot spectacular sunsets. The ruins are nearly invisible, but I love ruins & in England there are definitely plenty to choose from Thanks for sharing, take care, stay safe & hugs from down under.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susan. Lovely to hear from you. Oz has a special place in my heart as I spent a wonderful year there in my early twenties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you decided to join in๐Ÿ’• your photos and stories are lovely, I love your sun glow, the deep blue- black of the sky is so rich against the vanishing peachy glow x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Kate. I'm glad you like the sun-glow. And thank for organising the link-up - it's inspiring to have a theme. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your sunglow photo, the colour of the sky is lovely, but my favourite just has to be those cute ducklings :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Tigermouse. Quite a few of us seem to be choosing ducks this month! My picture is a bit blurred as I had to use the zoom on my camera as I didn't want to get too close and scare them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely (and interesting) collection of pics - I enjoy your descriptions - it was lucky you spotted the nest - wrens are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy the descriptions. I'm always tempted to write too much so have to rein myself in.

      Delete
  8. Lucky you to have nesting wrens! We once had a next in our big shed at the fields; Beloved was there one day when the little ones fledged and some landed on him! Mother wren was not impressed! Now I like your duckling picture, it has movement. Never seen a stinkhorn and it does not sound nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you joined in with your lovely photos... a little iffy on the insect though! ;)
    The ducklings are so sweet, I can see the one lifting it's foot.
    Do you have an email you use so I can respond to your comments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've ticked the email box on your blog - hopefully this means you have my email.
      Glad you can see the duckling lifting its foot - it's just the sort of thing Disney would have caught so well.
      Sorry about the insect - I was trying to do something different . . .

      Delete
  10. They are lovely photos and stories, particularly the one about the wren - what a privilege to have them choose to make a nest in your shed. I think my favourite is the sun glow one - that sky is a wonderful colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you wildaboutworld. Do you have a blog? I haven't found it yet.

      Delete
  11. Such interesting photos, I'm glad the little wrens got away from their "inside" nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were pleased about the fledglings too but we had an anxious couple of days with the parents calling them from outside and the young ones squeaking inside saying they couldn't find the way out.

      Delete
  12. Love the photographs of the duck and ducklings, swan and cygnets and the moorhen we have these by are car an and it always amazes me when they just come and sit on the lawn and they are not worried about people walking past them ๐Ÿ™‚

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, it's always very exciting isn't it to see wildlife close up. Sometimes birds are worried and sometimes they're not. It's a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi B - such a lovely post. Thanks so much for photo of Wood Sage - I often see it on my walks round here and so now I can give it a name. I envy the sightings of your little wren family...what a perfect, if unintentional, nesting spot you gave them!And I do hope it was a nightingale you heard - it means I might have one too in the wild overgrown part of my garden.Adorable ducklings picking their way through the grass... gorgeous sunglow sky ...and I love it that you see Victorian paintings in our 21st countryside...thank you for opening my eyes too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Trish. You always arrive to cheer me up just when I need it. I'm looking out for Hedge Bedstraw for you now. Hope all well with you. xx

      Delete
  15. Oh yes me too! Long to do lists and head in the clouds hasn't been a good combo for me either. I'm late to the party and am now spending an evening catching up with every ones June Hunt pics. You have a lovely selection and of course I'm drawn to the ruins again ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about ruins?? (Perhaps it's their mystery. You wonder about their story.)

      Delete

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!