Tuesday 13 August 2019

Highly Sensitive People

Every couple of weeks since April I’ve been seeing a spiritual healer (Therese) - who works at a local health centre thanks to an enlightened doctor. Even though my physical complaints haven’t gone away, I feel much happier. This may be because of the healing and it may also be because of the conversations that Therese and I have. I can talk to her about all the things that really interest me and which you don’t mention in normal company for fear of being thought mad (such as seeing things, hearing things, writing, spirituality).

Therese has introduced me to the concept of the Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) which is a newish definition and describes about one in five of the population. Even with this large proportion, sensitivity is not usually valued in our society and many HSPs struggle to fit in and become ill as a consequence - often chronically.

In order to address this, a friend and one-time pupil of Therese, Mel Collins, has written The Handbook for Highly Sensitive People, cover below.

Front cover of 'The Handbook for Highly Sensitive People' by Mel Collins (2019)


There is a questionnaire at the beginning of the book, designed to help the reader discover whether or not they fall into the category, and I thought you might be interested in seeing it. (Excuse my erratic scanning and I hope Mel won't mind me reproducing part of her book.)



I don’t know about you, but I ticked every statement but one. That was number 19, and when I mentioned it to Frog he said I should have ticked that one too because he’s been insensitive in the past. (I couldn’t possibly comment.)

The concept and the book have been something of a revelation to me. They’ve shown me that I’m not deranged, or damaged – as I’ve always thought I was. The way I am is innate. I can’t change it. I can even be proud of it since HSPs have much to offer. Many of them are artists or teachers, in health care, fighting for social justice or against the mistreatment of the environment, animals and children. As the book says, sensitivity is a gift, not a flaw.

Do have a look if you’re interested in finding out more.

Incidentally, the Foreword is written by the broadcaster Jeremy Vine, an HSP himself.

4 comments:

  1. Me too me too! I'm a HSP! So glad you have found us....and wonderful to write a post about it. I read a book about HSPs by Elaine Aron many years ago, and like you, it was a revelation and really helped me to understand and accept myself so much more. Like Dyslexia it is a gift not a curse. I recently heard a programme on Radio 4 about how the special gifts of HSPs need to be recognised and rewarded in the work place .Thank you for writing this . And I'm so glad you have found Therese to support you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Trish - I thought you might be . . . xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Belinda, thanks for your email ages ago .. I di still pop in here from time to time .. although I am on Facebbok more. This piece is really interesting. I didn't answer yes to all of these but I did to a lot .. which I guess makes me a sensitive person dealing ok with it .. but it does explain a lot .. and I think I am definitely drawn to these types of people too. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina - so great to hear from you and I'm glad you found something of interest. I will check you out on Facebook (via Frog's page). Do you still blog at all? I do check but haven't for ages. All the best, Bxx

    ReplyDelete

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!