Friday 22 February 2019

Looking for cranes on the Somerset Levels

Novel-writing

I’m taking a break from novel-writing at the moment as it’s a very intense activity.

On the Somerset Levels

Yesterday Frog, Dog and I went for a walk on the Somerset Levels, looking for the reintroduced cranes.* We didn’t find any cranes but we found lots of other things. Here are some of them.

There was mistletoe everywhere. This apple tree is almost giving up.

Strange fruit  (Spot the dog.)
Reflections in the River Parrett
A burst of new hawthorn leaves
Wild cherry blossom (or blackthorn?)
Periwinkle

Cranes

Cranes once lived in great numbers all over the UK, giving their name to places (eg Cranbrook, Cranford), food (eg cranberries) and plants (eg cranesbill). They became extinct as a breeding bird in this country at the start of the seventeenth century through being hunted for food and as the marshland where they lived was drained. 

In 1979 however three migrant birds set up home on the Norfolk Broads and in 2010-14 another group of birds was reintroduced to the Somerset Levels. Both groups are doing well.

They are big grey birds like herons but look different in flight. They are related not to herons but to moorhens and coots.



(Thanks to thegreatcraneproject.org.uk  for the information and picture above.)



* Thanks to Roselle Angwin and her blog for reminding me about the Somerset cranes

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics - I especially love the reflections in the river Parrett. And thanks for all info about the cranes - I had no idea.I understand about needing take a break from writing. And I will look out for chapter 19 when you are ready. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks Trish. I appreciate the comments and your understanding. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!