Tuesday 19 September 2017

Notes from a prison cell



I focus on the light
that comes from the small barred window
high up in the wall.

I pretend the concrete and brick
are rock and stone, a cave.

I listen to the screams and the thuds
and I pretend they are my enemy
from whom I’m hiding in my cave.

--

Soon, I know, I will be free.

I will run over the damp earth
in my bare feet.

I will feel the wind in my hair
and the sun on my skin.

I will lie on a bed of dry leaves
and look up at the sky.

I will see the stars
and know I am with god.



copyright ©  Belinda Whitworth 19.9.17

4 comments:

  1. So glad you understand! Swimming with fish/es sounds lovely - did you ever read that bit in 'The Once and Future King' (T H White)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wart (young King Arthur) is changed into a fish by Merlin. I loved the book when I read it in my later teens. (Disney’s ‘The Sword in the Stone’ is a VERY loose adaptation of the first part.)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!