Saturday, 3 October 2026

8.6 Penny

This is an instalment of an autobiographical series. For more information and a list of instalments so far, see right.



Penny, our rescue lurcher, had now been with us for nine years.
    She no longer ran off to look for us whenever we left her alone, but even so both Frog and I had acquired the habit of taking her with us in the car when we went out. She was quite happy to wait in carparks while we shopped, and Frog took her to work with him whenever he could. The students at the university radio adored her and had made her an Honorary Life Member of the station.
    She was a skinny little thing when she first came to live with us and hardly ate, but she’d put on a couple of kilos since then and usually managed to finished her meals. But she certainly wasn’t a gutso (as Frog would say) like dear Brindle. She did however have two vices. (All dogs have at least one in my opinion, but each has their own particular brand.)

Firstly, she loved rolling in anything smelly, which necessitated frequent baths and showers. Luckily this was something Frog was good at giving her.

 


 Frog bathing Penny


Secondly she was a chaser, which was not surprising given her greyhound ancestry. If she spotted a deer – of which there were many around – she would be off, leaping over hedges, across roads, through fields and rivers.
    If I managed to call her before she fixed into chase mode, she was obedient, but if not she became blind and deaf to everything but her quarry and I had to resign myself to two or three frantic hours at home, waiting for her to return of her own accord. Which she always did thank goodness, footsore, dusty and breathless. And deer-less.
     I didn’t worry too much about what could happen to her when she vanished as she could look after herself. It was the damage she might cause while out that concerned me.

But perhaps I should have been stricter. Perhaps I should have thought ahead more, and not given her the chance to go off on her own. Perhaps she couldn’t look after herself quite as well as I thought.
    One day as she and I walked the lane that went up the hill behind the house she vanished to the far corner of an adjacent field and returned dragging the filthy remains of some long-dead animal. This was so unlike her that I began to feel slightly alarmed.
    Frog was full of stories of how farmers laced meat with poison and left it out to kill foxes and badgers. Many of the dead animals by the side of the road, he said, had been killed and thrown there by said farmers.
    How barbaric, I thought, trying not to believe him. And what about the buzzards and crows that then fed on the poisoned animals?
    Soon Penny was bored by the carcass and left it lying in the road, but a few hours after we arrived home she became restless, which again was unusual.
    Brenda had sold the bookshop and I was back at home editing, having written two (awful) novels and an autobiography on the strength of several inspiring weekends away, a monthly course in Exeter and an online course, all with an extraordinary creative-writing teacher called Roselle. Roselle reached deep inside you by giving deeply of herself, and this – for me at least – had led to writing pouring out of me.
    I’d paused writing for the moment however and gone back to the work I knew so well and felt safe with. I needed a rest from intensity, and to earn some money.
    Even from my eyrie, carved out of the loft when we built the extension, I could hear Penny in the bedroom crashing around. So I paused my proofreading and went down to check on her.
    By now she looked terrible – panting and almost foaming at the mouth. Something was obviously very wrong. It was time for the vet again.
    I heaved her into the car and drove as fast as I could through the twisty lanes, while Penny fidgeted in the back.
     As we pushed through the door of the waiting-room, she opened her mouth and delivered on to the floor a vast pile of vomit sprinkled with small blue bits, which looked suspiciously like slug pellets. Where had she picked those up? I never ever used them myself as I thought they were disgusting. There were many humane ways to reduce slug damage. And if they'd been in that carcass, why?
    ‘It’s poison,’ said the vet. ‘I’ve seen several cases recently.’
    Penny spent two days and nights at the vet's, while they emptied her stomach (I think) and fed her charcoal, before we could fetch her.
    But she was never the same again.

She never ran for joy any more. She never went chasing. She never wanted to leap into the car with us. She never slid into view with a shy grin on her face when Frog arrived home.
    Then one evening six months later, she started having fits. It was another dash to the vet’s, Frog driving this time and us rendezvousing at the clinic with the out-of-hours medic.
    ‘There’s nothing I can do, I’m afraid,’ she said.
    As we settled Penny on her bed, she fell still and calm, as if she knew what was going to happen.

Frog carried Penny’s limp body to the car, and back home began digging again, using his sleeve to mop  from his face a mixture of sweat and tears. We’d chosen a spot one paving slab away from Brindle.
    I stood by, offering silent moral support and watching the clear night sky. Suddenly over the western horizon a shooting star flared into life and vanished.
    It felt like a sign of hope. Penny was all right. She would manage without us.

The next morning I went out to look at the grave. Penny’s sweetness filled the air.



Frog and Penny on Glastonbury Tor




To be continued





2 comments:

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!