Monday, 17 August 2026

PART 7. 1 The Aura Portrait

This is part of an autobiographical series. For more information and a list of instalments, see right



1997
 
‘Would you like a portrait of your aura?’ said Cat.
     I knew Catherine, Cat for short, from my yoga class. She was standing outside her house in Silverton’s main street, her head bobbing among the home-made dream-catchers (Aboriginal mobiles) that she was selling.
    It was August, almost exactly a year after Thomas’s death, the day of the annual village Street Market, attended it seemed by the entire population of the village, plus hordes from outside. The streets thronged with brightly dressed pedestrians.
     ‘Ooh’, I said, ‘that sounds scary.’
    Did I really want to know what was lurking in my ‘aura’? I feared the worst, in spite of all my therapy.
    What with my eating disorders, my migraines and all my life events, I was becoming an expert on complementary therapies. I felt as if I’d tried them all: acupuncture, reflexology, osteopathy, cranial osteopathy, aromatherapy, herbalism, homeopathy, naturopathy, massage and flower remedies, to name but a few. Not to mention counselling and hypnotherapy. So much so that I was now writing about them for magazines and encyclopaedias.
    So I knew a little about auras – the energy field that surrounded our bodies, or ‘subtle energy’ as it was sometimes known. But I hadn’t had much to do with them.
    So, in spite of myself, I was intrigued.
    ‘Go on,’ said Cat. ‘Cheryl’s brilliant. She’s in my sitting-room. Why don’t you go in and meet her.’
    She pushed her front door open and I wandered through, trying to look nonchalant.
 
It was dark inside and I bumped into some furniture before spotting Cheryl at the back of the room next to a small table.
    She was young, in her twenties I guessed, with long, straight, dyed-blonde hair and a delicate face.
    She watched me without smiling or making any form of greeting and pointed to a chair in front of her.
    ‘I can do you either a tarot reading or an aura portrait. It’s ten pounds,’ she said.
    Already I believed in her. Her confidence was rock-solid.
    ‘An aura portrait please,’ I said, sitting on the chair and handing her the money.
    Tarot I vaguely knew about already as Frog had a pack as well as several books on the subject and had impressed me when we first met by doing me a reading with the cards. Auras were what I was here for.
    Cheryl picked a pad off the table and began sketching with a selection of crayons, looking through me rather than at me.
    ‘You get headaches,’ she said.
    ‘Yes,’ I said, taken aback that she’d seen so much so quickly.
    She carried on sketching without answering.
    Finally she stopped colouring and turned her paper round, placing it on the table so that I could look at it.
    I wanted to cry. Even I could see what it meant.
 
Over the summer when Frog and I were planning to marry and our lives were in such turmoil we’d attended a course on ‘human development’ over several weeks in the evenings at a local alternative centre. This was called the Grail Centre and situated in one of Exeter’s side streets with a vegetarian cafĂ© that Frog and I often visited on a Saturday.
    Here we learned about the seven stages of human life, modelled on the colours of the rainbow. The first stage was the physical, and coloured red (or black). The orange stage was about social connection, the yellow related to the intellect, green (or pink) the emotions, blue responsibility, indigo intuition and violet creativity, spirituality and selfless service.
    Each level had it pluses and minuses, and you learnt to deal with these as you moved up the levels approximately every seven years.
    Ultimately - ideally - you became a fully formed human being, having reached the white level which included every colour.   
     Both Frog and I were fascinated by this model. It made so much sense. And as a result of the exercises we did in the group, we placed ourselves at the green level. My mother I decided was probably yellow, and my father blue. No wonder we didn’t get along.
    Later, when I started yoga, I realised that these levels equated to the chakras, the body’s seven centres positioned from the groin to the top of the head, spinning discs where according to yogic philosophy we take energy in and release it back out again. Interestingly chakras also relate to the conventional endocrine system – the glands that produce hormones. As well as to our poetic understanding of our bodies – the head, the heart, the soul and so on.
   
Over an outline of the human body, doubling its size, Cheryl had coloured beautiful flares of pinks and purples, blues, yellows and greens. But from the pelvis downwards around the outside the colours, on the palms of my hands, in the centre of my body above the waist and over one side of my head were foul brown splodges.
    Cheryl pointed to them one by one.
    ‘You have to do something about these,’ she said, ‘otherwise you’re going to become ill.’



To be continued . . . 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!