Wednesday, 19 August 2026

7.2 Wellness

This is part of an autobiographical series. For more information and a list of instalments, see right


I reeled out of Cat’s house, feeling as if something momentous had just happened. I sensed that the meeting with Cheryl was one of those fateful events, destined to change the course of my life. Not quite in the same league as my first encounter with Frog, and very different, but vital nonetheless.
    I made my way back down the main street in a daze, not noticing who I was passing and bumping shoulders at every step.
    As I reached the village square and the exit from the Market, I walked into Frog’s brother Simon and his family who were staying with Frog and me.
    I couldn’t help blurting out what had occurred, thinking that they might understand.
    ‘You paid ten pounds for an aura portrait,’ exclaimed Simon. ‘Are you mad or something? What a waste of money.’
     I hardly heard him.
 
The next morning, as soon as the hour was reasonable and without telling anyone except Frog who was resigned now to my emotional excesses even if he didn’t always understand them, I made my way back to the village and hammered on Cat’s door.
    I kept on hammering even though it took her a good five minutes to open the door. When she did appear she was wearing a dressing-gown and her eyes were half closed. I’d obviously woken her up. She didn’t look too pleased to see me.
    ‘You’d better come in,’ she sighed.
    Once inside I refused a cup of coffee and found myself blurting out the whole story of the pregnancy, the termination and Thomas, my face streaming with tears.
    Cat listened in silence and I sensed that she was reluctant to get involved. She had her own problems.
    At last I drew to a halt. I didn’t know what had come over me and began to feel slightly stupid.
    ‘Why don’t you go and see Cheryl again,’ said Cat. ‘Her details should be underneath the aura portrait.’
    Yes, I thought. That was what I needed. That was exactly what I wanted to hear.
 
Cheryl lived in a terraced house in Exeter, the walls decorated with New Agey posters like dolphins and zodiacs. She kept the curtains half closed and burned incense. She wasn’t surprised to see me and sat me down without preamble. Which was lucky as I couldn’t have explained why I was there or what I wanted.
    All I knew was that I was in love with those gorgeous swirling colours. It wasn’t so much that I was concerned about the brown splodges. I already understood why they were there. It was the energy of the aura that drew me in. I wanted more of it. I didn’t want anything in its way.
    The first thing Cheryl suggested was an exercise in intuition. During the week I wrote down every one of those thoughts, ideas and feelings that seemed to come from nowhere and what I did about them. What was the result? There were some astonishing congruences and I began to see that those insights were more ‘right’ – more helpful – than all my lists, plans and conscious attempts at self-improvement.
    She had me read a novel called The Celestine Prophecy which illustrated ‘synchronicity’, a word invented by the psychologist Jung (in the early twentieth century) for those strange coincidences that speak of a meaningful world and a connection between us and the rest of creation. I was inspired.
    We worked on affirmations, positive descriptions about me and my life, such as ‘I am safe’, ‘I am perfect as I am’. She advised me to write each affirmation down many times on a piece of paper and then go through the lines, alternating them with all the negatives my brain came up with. Eventually I would run out of negatives and suddenly see that on a higher level the affirmation was true, at which point my eyes would fill with tears and I would be overcome with relief.
    She led me through meditations and guided visualisations and encouraged me to try doing the same on my own. My walks with Brindle took on a whole new importance as I followed her advice and parked myself daily in secret places at the tops of hills and under trees and dreamed of better things.
    At the end of another year she coloured me another aura portrait and, while there were still dark splodges, the colours reached the edge of the paper and beyond.
 
One of the articles I’d been commissioned to write was on the subject of ‘Wellness’. Full of confidence, I’d trotted out all the stuff I’d already written about and knew so well – the healthy eating, the exercise, the complementary therapies – and sent it off. But reading the article later, I realised that it was missing one huge chunk of existence – the spiritual. I’d said nothing about how we could care for, cultivate and connect with our souls. And I began to realise that this was what Cheryl was teaching me.
 
But there was more, much more to come. I was only just beginning.



To be continued . . . 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!