Wednesday 21 October 2020

On Writing

I’m trying not to blog at the moment, or at least not so often, so as to leave space for other writing projects.

In the meantime, here are the concluding paragraphs from On Writing by Stephen King, which I’ve been reading recently. 

Writing isn’t about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid, or making friends. In the end, it’s about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life, as well. It’s about getting up. Getting well, and getting over. Getting happy, okay? Getting happy. Some of this book – perhaps too much – has been about how I learned to do it. Much of it has been about how you can do it better. The rest of it - and perhaps the best of it – is a permission slip: you can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will. Writing is magic, as much the water of life as any other creative art. The water is free. So drink.
    Drink and be filled up.



Thanks to the delightful Jon from EE for recommending the book.
(We* rang EE to transfer our broadband to them. At the end of a long conversation about houses, dogs, interests, family and occasionally broadband, Jon said that we'd made his day. He certainly made ours.)

*Frog and I make admin phone calls together as I'm the admin person of the family but he hears better than me.

5 comments:

  1. I did have a mad flurry of writing a week or so ago, then I was asked to paint a memorial plaque and that just took over - the problem is - I am hating doing it, and it is taking longer than it should to do it - so writing and crochet and knitting etc and walking (all fav things) are taking a reluctant back seat x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to hear from you, Kate. I keep trying to comment on your blog and it doesn't work - think it's me not you. Hope you manage to get back to the writing and walking and crafting soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks dear B - I'm so inspired by this...love everything he says...I WILL start writing again.... and life is BIG at the moment so I'm not making room for it....thanks for keeping the faith and so glad you are starting new projects. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Trish - glad you're inspired - but not made to feel obliged, I hope! I haven't started any new projects yet but I'm leaving space. I think lack of confidence is however a huge barrier. Is that a new profile pic? It's very nice. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy you your relationship with EE LOL

    ReplyDelete

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!