This is an instalment of an autobiographical series. See right for more information.
Pat herself was of indeterminate age – older than us perhaps but only by ten years or so. She had fluffy brown hair and wore a light-pink cardigan, both offset by strong black-framed glasses.
‘So tell me why you’re here to see me,’ she said.
Frog and I looked at each other.
‘Come on, come on,’ she said gently.
The previous year was a blur. Frog had been in mourning for Sam and, while I’d occasionally tried to comfort him, I hadn’t felt that that was really my role. It stuck in my throat (as my mother would say) to have to do it. It was a step too far.
Whether we’d argued and fought as we had before Sam and what had eventually brought us to see Pat - a counsellor trained by the marriage-guidance charity Relate, now working independently in a complementary health centre - I can’t remember.
It was my idea, I know, and me who’d done the research, but Frog hadn’t demurred. He’d come along with me in everything without saying a word.
I’d spoken to Pat on the phone and she’d offered us a free fifteen-minute try-out session.
As we climbed the second flight of steep wooden stairs however, I wondered whether we really needed this. Surely we could manage on our own. I felt OK now. Completely calm.
I told Pat this and she laughed.
‘Let’s see, shall we,’ she said.
So I began trying to explain – about Brian in London, my parents, Sam – and the more I spoke, the more spilled out.
Pat held up her hand. ‘Stop, stop. You don’t need to say any more. I can see now that this is going to take some time. Are you all right with that?’
I nodded vehemently.
I already trusted her. I already liked her. I knew she could help us.
Click here for the next instalment
Dear B I'm so glad you found Pat. She sounds amazing. It feels like you were guided to her at exactly the right time. What comes through so strongly in all this is your absolute trust and instinct and determination to save your marriage over and above all the pain and confusion and self doubt and conflict you were experiencing. The fact that Frog agreed and participated confirms he felt the same. As always I want to know what happened next...Xx
ReplyDelete👍😊❤️
Delete