Tuesday 9 July 2013

The skin underneath




On the second day of the holiday
I tripped on a protruding drain cover
and gashed my elbow.

For over a week since then
the wound has oozed
blood and pus.

(That’s what wounds do, says Frog.
Stop worrying about it.
Why did it happen? I wail.
What is its metaphysical significance?)

But today it started to dry
and bits of scab
are cracking off.

(That’s what scabs do, says Frog.
You don’t have to pick at them.)

The skin underneath is tender.

(New skin is like that.
I remember now.)

In five days’ time
I will have to go home.

The skin
underneath
is tender.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!