Saturday 25 May 2013

Pensée

About ten or fifteen years ago (dates aren’t my strong point) I saw a healer about my migraines.
    ‘There’s a difference’, she said, ‘between triggers and cause. What you need to do is find out the cause of your migraines.’
    I agreed with her. The triggers for my migraines seemed too numerous even to list and I was blowed if I was going to limit my life any more than I did already as a result of the migraines – an almost-vegan diet, minimal social life, working from home. I’d never been to a doctor about my migraines. I didn’t want to be tied to some drug for the rest of my life. I didn’t want to be a ‘patient’. I preferred exploring complementary therapies, doing something for myself.
    Over the last few weeks however – ever since I had my ‘dead dog dream’ (see previous post) – something strange has been happening. In spite of my lovely birthday (because of it?) I’ve been feeling ill most of the time. The only days I’ve woken up feeling well are the days when I had no wine the night before (and before you snigger knowingly, let me tell you that I only ever have one glass – any more and I know that I would be violently sick) and the day I felt worst was the day after the day I’d had some chocolate as well. It was as if something was pinpointing my triggers or as if my triggers were narrowing themselves down in an effort to tell me something.
    ‘Right,’ I said. ‘I shall do without both alcohol and chocolate between now and our holiday in four weeks’ time (and maybe cheese as well as that might be another culprit) and see what happens.’
    I’d been wanting to lose a few pounds before the holiday and this way I could kill two birds with one stone (not that I’d ever want to kill a bird, or anything for that matter – except perhaps a dying dog). I’d been battling with causes for thirty-five years. Just for once, I would concentrate on triggers.
    That was Wednesday.
    It’s as if something fundamental has been snatched from my life. I feel stunned. And yesterday afternoon, as I lay on my bed recovering from the shock, I had a thought.

    Life’s not about doing as much as possible. It’s about giving yourself what you need.

That may not seem earth-shattering to you but to me it was a revelation. Alcohol and chocolate had been part of a lifestyle that was toxic to me. They had propped it up and, without them, my whole life was going to have to change. I could no longer race through the day, struggling to get to the end of a never-ending ‘to do’ list, denying myself what I really wanted (not even eating) and compensating at the end of the day with ‘treats’. Those treats had gone. I was going to have to replace them. I was going to give myself what I really needed instead. And those things were:

    Food and rest.

And I have a feeling that’s just the start. Fun and real pleasure could be added to those two items in due course.
    I want to cry.
    It’s great being sixty.

8 comments:

  1. Wait til you get to 65 :-) Red wine, chocolate and cheese are all headache triggers for me - I don't think I have anything quite as bad as migraines but I get headaches that last for a couple of days quite frequently. I'm taking feverfew tablets daily because that's supposed to help but Im not convinced that it does - I still get the headaches. The other thing that seems to trigger mine is weekends. I almost always get my headaches on a Saturday or Sunday or both. It's just SO difficult to give up those lovely treats isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela - great to hear from you and I love the drawings and paintings on your blog (and your short hairstyle!). That's not good news though about the headaches. I understood that these things got better as you got older. I'm still off the wine but it's hard as you say . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks dear Belinda for your inspiring posts - especially about life not being about doing as much as possible and giving yourself what you need instead....it's so hard to change the treats at the end of the day mind set isn't it....but quite possible especially as you are now being more gentle on yourself.....I haven't cracked the chocolate and wine thing even though it's not migraines for me - I'm sure it makes me foggy and more tired the next day. Sso glad you are in the swing of being 60... Tx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trish - so great to know you're reading - and understanding! - my bloggings. I feel encouraged to carry on trying to explain what's going on at the moment. (And as I hope you know, I love your blog - but feel I can't keep saying that.) Bx

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I'm trying to give up something (I've had stomach problems and refuse to take the 'pills'). I found it helpful to print out a list of 'good' foods and not to focus on the 'bad foods. I only included foods I like. I stuck to a very limited diet for a few days last year and all my pain disappeared, I felt empowered even though it only lasted two days. I'm fifty soon and I want to grow old without aches and pains, which means a lot of self care with yoga and eating and other stuff. It's not easy but I know it's worth it. Perhaps you should only try giving things up one at a time. Chocolate OR wine, or for shorter periods, like four days instead of four weeks, be gentle with yourself! Rant over (can you tell I've got a cold and have a day off!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Nina. It was really helpful for me just breaking an addictive cycle and to know I could do without things. I haven't stuck to the plan quite so rigidly as I first intended - being gentle with oneself is important too, as you say.
    Hope the cold clears up.
    (And thanks for the chard post!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you know your migraine triggers.
    Wine, lack of sleep and stress are my triggers. I've always run myself ragged, because that was my family's tempo.
    When I get stress or lack of sleep related migraines, it reminds me to pull back and take care of myself.
    Here's to your favorite beverage (not wine) and kicking back!
    MaryJane :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. MaryJane - thank you so much for your comment and sorry not to have replied sooner. (Only just back from holiday.) I do empathise with the 'running oneself ragged'. That was/is my family's tempo too and probably a major cause of my migraines. Good luck with yours I shall browse your blog as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!