Monday 21 January 2013

Garden tour

Inspired by the lovely Autumn Cottage Diarist blog and in imitation of the Ightham Mote Cobnuts Project blog which cleverly interweaves text and pictures, I thought I'd give you a tour of our garden. I should warn you however that it is nothing like the beautiful and beautifully tended plot at Autumn Cottage. (Links to both blogs in panel, right.)

I am ambivalent about flower gardening. I like my nature wild so I baulk at introducing non-native plants and then spending hours tending them. Nor do I like uprooting plants in the name of weeding. Frog's good at destructive gardening, preferably with a machine - hedgetrimming, mowing and chainsawing, but not keen on the detailed stuff. So our flowerbeds are a compromise, to say the least.

Note the birdfeeder in this bed, which was the stand for the For Sale sign outside our house when we bought it thirty-three years ago, never collected by the estate agents so turned upside down by Frog and put to good use.











My pride and joy are my raised vegetable beds, which I dug out myself from the steep slope that is our garden about five years ago (and then spent a month in agony lying on my front).

The beds vary in size because of the shape of the space but - in case you're interested - I have discovered that the ideal width is 2 1/2 to 3 feet. (Any wider and you can't reach the middle. Any narrower and you can't get much in.)

In the background of this picture (above right) you might see some scrap metal and a strange boat-shaped object lying in the hedge. These are variously an aerial, the rusting frame of a kit car and the base of a kit car. As I say, Frog always has lots of projects on the go . . .


You might also note the upward extension on the beds. Frog did this for me this autumn as rabbit-proofing (rabbits can't jump higher than about 18 inches I have discovered) and because the beds were starting to overflow.
And if you want an efficient, helpful and reasonably priced timber merchant in Mid Devon, I can thoroughly recommend Pennymoor Timber.
In the background of these pictures (left and above right) you can just see the mesh protecting my purple sprouting broccoli from pigeons and butterflies/caterpillars. Unfortunately when the snow landed on it last Friday the plants were completely flattened. I brushed all the snow off and I think they'll recover.

The beds were starting to overflow because, when I have time and when I want some strenuous exercise, I load them with compost and horse manure.

Both my compost bins and my horse-manure source (the stables next door) are at the bottom of hills - which means that full wheelbarrows have to be pushed uphill. Well, it's as good a way of working off the Christmas surplus as any.

In the picture on the right you might notice the fencing laid across the base of the hedge. This is Frog's attempt to stop the dog excavating rabbit holes and then coming home plastered in mud. Luckily the dog has found a way to climb on to the hedge and approach the rabbit holes from above. (I say 'luckily' because, if Dog is happy and busy, then so am I.)

Because our plot used to be an orchard, we are blessed with proper Devon hedge on all sides. Some of this is made up of elm which, as I'm sure you know, dies when it gets to a certain age. If you cut down the dead trees, the bases do sprout again, but we like to leave some of them for the woodpeckers.








Here (right) is some of Frog's scaffolding put to good use keeping pots out of the way of the rabbits.

(Plus a trellis cobbled together from some of what Frog calls 'racking'. It was being thrown out at one of the places where he works so perhaps I'd better not say too much about it. I tie my tomatoes to it in the summer.)

(Also some gutttering waiting to go up. Another project.)


This table is made of something called Plaswood which is recycled plastic. It has been sitting outside all year round for about ten years and is none the worse for wear. It is comfortable to sit on, being warm and non-splintery. And it also makes a good cutting surface when I want to remove roots etc from harvested vegetables.
Leaning against the table you might notice another piece of metal. This is part of a second-hand anemometer (wind-speed thingy) which Frog wants to get working again and put up. (Another project.)

And I think I'd better stop there before you fall off your seat with boredom.

4 comments:

  1. Not bored at all, love nosing around other peoples gardens, particularly when I can do it in winter from the warmth and comfort of my own sitting room! I love the warts and all pictures, makes me feel very at home. I thoroughly approve of deepbeds and compost bins, and pity you the rabbits, tho my allotment is ravaged by pheasants and pigeons particularly in the winter. Can't wait for spring, dug up a few parsnips today and got VERY cold hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nina. Glad you enjoyed it. Not much in my veg garden at the moment - not even parsnips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very jealous of your lovely red Devon soil - don't know how fertile it is, but I just love the colour! Bought some seed potatoes the other day for chitting (first and second earlies) but haven't been down the allotment in weeks.
    Love Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's quite fertile but I'm not an expert on soil. (Actually, I don't know anything about it at all.)It can get very claggy though. Waiting for my potatoes to arrive in the post(first earlies only).

    ReplyDelete

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!