Tuesday 14 February 2012

In Redslinch wood



I am sitting on dead leaves and stones
[Where is Dog?]

I hear birds
chiff-chaff
I hear the stream
The sun shines on my face
The wind blows through the tops of the trees
and on the back of my neck

I watch the water
always the same
always different
like flame

I want to write
but I can't
All my pains cluster around that point

[Dog is barking]

A strip of rusty iron
like a piece of chastity belt
lies on the edge of the stream
one spike up

I will go home
to an empty house
an empty page
That is what I have created for myself

[Dog arrives
and puts her paw on my foot
She radiates heat
Her underside and legs
are dripping grey mud
She is panting]

I stand up
and shoulder my backpack

I am lost
but I step forward
That is all I can do

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!