Thursday 10 November 2011

Here goes

‘You try too hard,’ said my hairdresser Michelle as she worked something called ‘craft clay’ into my hair and mussed it all up.
    She was talking about my hair, but I haven’t been able to get her words out of my head.
    I’m terrified of doing anything to The Novel (always in capitals, note) in case nothing comes to mind. In case I can’t do it. I try to impose words on to the page. I don’t wait for them to come. I try too blxxdy hard.
    The paralysis has even extended to The Blog (as you may have noticed) – something which came so easily to start with.
    Yesterday I had my once-every-three-weeks collapse in bed – not quite a migraine this time – nausea and headache, yes, but not quite the black pall of all-over wretchedness that signals migraine – so today I feel good, back in touch with myself, liberated from the ‘to do’ list. I spent a day in bed and the world didn’t collapse. Maybe I could do more just for myself.
    Writing – when it works – gives me the same feeling. So here goes. Blog post first (good or bad) and then Novel.

2 comments:

  1. I like craft clay - use it myself these days now my hair is short. World keeps spinning whether we write or not. Thinking along those lines can be steadying - i find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Signs, I shall try and remember that. It feels helpful.
    And I still haven't seen your new hair.
    And I hope you're picking up, strength wise.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!