Monday 28 February 2011

Poetic Aunt


In 'The Englishwoman' I mentioned my writer-aunt Annabelle. She has a book of poems coming out on 12 March. It is called Dressed in Water and is published by Dionysia Press, Edinburgh. Her surname is Despard. She also has a poem of hers called 'Should you die first' included in a new anthology edited by Neil Astley called Being Human (published by Bloodaxe). This poem was displayed on the London Underground and is also included in the anthology of Underground poems.
    Although I write the occasional poem myself, I'm not a great reader of poetry. Perhaps I don't have the patience; I prefer a story. But I have read some of Annabelle's poems and I liked them a lot. They are direct enough for anyone to understand them (even me) and they are moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!