Sunday 7 April 2013

Signs of the times

Although late, primroses are putting on an extra-special display this year:





Last year it was the turn of celandines to excel – in both size and quantity – but this year they’re back to normal. Don’t you love their tiny heart-shaped leaves.




The ditch where I saw the frogspawn seven weeks ago (goodness, how time flies) has now dried out. I fear the tadpoles have had it.
    (When I passed by this morning a toad was sitting in the mud. I wish I’d taken a photograph then. What do you think she/he was doing?)




Stitchwort is always the first of what I call the ‘hedgerow’ flowers to appear. I saw this lone clump beside the road on Friday, shivering in the Siberian blast (me and the plant) - hence the slightly blurred picture:



The magnificent shiny trowel-shaped leaves of wild arum (lords and ladies) which are popping up all over the place. Some of them look to be about a foot in length.


3 comments:

  1. Love the primroses, they are loving this cool damp weather. As for the rest...aaargh...weeds!! Only joking, they are very pretty, but I do spend a lot of time digging the other three out. Actually now I think about it I've had to dig a lot of primroses out this year too, but I've found good homes for all those. and yes, celandines are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pics, but I couldn't spot the toad - my eyesight must be even worse than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina - I think that's what I don't like about gardening - having to dig up wildflowers.

    Pat - sadly, I didn't get a photo of the toad but wish I had. (Like the profile pic.)

    Thanks both for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!