Tuesday 6 December 2011

Making do and mending



A few years ago I dropped a pair of woollen gloves while out walking Dog. A neighbour found them and brought them back.
    ‘I knew they were yours’, she said, ‘because the fingers were darned.’
    Frog and I were brought up in the fifties, a time of austerity and ‘make do and mend’. We both take great satisfaction in adapting, repairing, tracking down in unusual places and prolonging the life of – in his case technology and in my case clothes.
    Frog has sheds full of broken-down machinery chucked out by other people. He can’t bear to see it go to waste and, whenever he has a spare moment, tries to nurture it back to life. (What he does with it then is another question and a small bone of contention between us.)
    I don’t exactly have sheds full of clothes but I do have the aforementioned chest - of bits of material, sewing gone wrong, and worn-out garments that could conceivably be reused in some other guise . . .



. . . not to mention a drawer full of bits of cord cut from posh shopping bags (that I use in projects such as the caftans I make for Frog), a ragbag, two crates of  old bed-linen, curtains, rugs and tablecloths that live under the spare-room bunks, and a suitcase of clothes I’ll never wear again but can’t bear to move on such as the psychedelic-patterned orange-and-pink trouser suit I made in my teens . . .


and the purple-and-black-striped lurex dress and jacket I wore in my twenties.



    I may also have mentioned that I’m tall. This means that I can hardly ever get clothes to fit. Either I have to buy men’s clothes which is depressing or I buy women’s and adapt them.
    One of my ruses is to combine two short t-shirts to make one long one. As you can see from the picture at the beginning of this post, the top and the bottom don’t usually match, but no one has ever commented on this particular eccentricity in my dress. Perhaps I am abetted by the current (or maybe not so current) fashion for wearing two or more t-shirts on top of each other. As you can also see, I sometimes extend arms as well.
       Mostly I use up old t-shirts for the extra bits, but I didn’t have anything appropriate for my current project, a white shirt. Luckily I found a size 20 white t-shirt in Sainsbury’s sale rail for £1.12p. More than enough material. What a find! (Even if non-PC.)


The work-in-progress
   
You might think from these pictures that pink and purple are my favourite colours. Actually, they're my second-favourite colours. Emerald green is my first but it's hard to find. I do have a lovely emerald-green t-shirt but sadly it's starting to go into holes now. It's a man's t-shirt so I took in the chest and the arms, and it has the word 'bollocks' on the back so I have to wear it inside out. I acquired it when I was helping my sister-in-law clear out her wardrobe. It was one of her chuck-outs. Another lucky find!

4 comments:

  1. brillant, love the lengthened t-shirts. I've been given a load of trendy t-shirts that fit me well, but are way too short and give me cold kidneys..I'm reluctant to part with them, and had been thinking of putting extensions on them...hilarious...are you sure we aren't sisters seperated when young!? Oh yes, and I also have darned socks, jumpers and gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only just read this post of yours Belinda - winter's not been easy and I've not been able to keep up with myself, let alone anyone else :-(. But I wanted to say what a GREAT IDEA! Can you use an ordinary machine needle for sewing cotton jersey, or does it need to be a special one?

    Love to you and Frog both x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roselle - have emailed you a detailed reply!
    (And for anyone else who's interested, yes I use an ordinary needle, but sometimes I use a zig-zag stitch.)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment won't be visible immediately. It comes to me first (via email) so that I can check it's not spam. I try to reply to every comment but please be assured that, even if I don't, every genuine comment is read with interest and greatly appreciated. Thank you!